mardi 18 mars 2008

manifest destiny and MERCI KRISTIN!

"It's sunny every day here. It's like Manifest Destiny. Don't tell me we didn't make it. We made it." -- Rob.

Probably one of my more favorite quotes from Swingers. It came to mind when I pulled open my window curtains and was blinded by the sun rising over the building across the way. It was gorgeous and warm, and I didn't even need to turn on my bathroom light when I was brushing my teeth, the sun lit the room and reached the bathroom, although it was a bit dark, but I didn't want to waste the electricity. Spring is almost here.

Looked outside while drinking my tea, and people are still bundled up in coats and scarves. Maybe it isn't here just yet.

I just want to scream from the top of my lungs MERCI to Kristin who just informed me that, this Saturday, Wes Anderson will be at FNAC (music, dvds, electronics, and books store). I'M SO THERE! I can't believe that some days ago I mentioned how cool it would be to run into Wes Anderson in Paris, and now, I'm getting the chance to see him talk about his films. You have no idea what this all means to me. Like I mentioned before, he is the filmmaker that singlehandedly changed my life, steered me into the direction of a life in film. I wouldn't even be HERE if it wasn't for him. Yes, yes, it's all a huge chain reaction of events, but bottom line: No Wes Anderson, no interest in film; no interest in film, no interest in French; no interest in French, no me in Paris. It's that simple. Also, it's thanks to Kuya who got me into Wes Anderson. So no Kuya, no Wes Anderson and etc...
I just want to see him in person, if anything. I don't even have to talk to him. Just to see him speak in person is all I need. Maybe a little photo here and there, paparazzi style, maybe even Lloyd Dobler style. He's pointing at something and I'm in the background.I'm also picking up Stacy at the airport that morning, but we'll be back in time, and hopefully she'll be cool enough to understand (she is a film girl as well) why I need to be at this event.

I think I just pretty much failed my test today. After Kristin sent me the news about Wes Anderson, I could not focus. I swear, I have the mind of a child sometimes. I lose focus, I daydream A LOT. So in the middle of studying for today's test, I was staring out the window, wondering what to wear on Saturday. Hair up or hair down? Will do better on my next tests. She drops the worst grade anyway.

Got a call from the parentals the other morning. They had just got back from seeing the Gypsy Kings perform. That made me laugh in a way you wouldn't understand if you didn't know my parents. I could see my Dad all excited about it. When I was a kid, we went camping in our RV a lot. And he'd play whatever music he liked. Lots of Gypsy Kings and the Eagles, Louis Armstrong and Jim Croce. Very interesting taste, my Dad. All I wanted to hear was the soundtrack for Stand By Me. True story: they once played the whole soundtrack from LA to SF and back at my behest. Then the tape broke.

God, I LOVE camping. We had this green RV, a GMC. Looks like this:I LOVED this thing. My two uncles had one too for their families. Theirs was brown. We'd go camping together, and there'd just be this awesome caravan of green and brown GMCs rolling down the highway. Such a beautiful sight. Lots of memories. Our bikes tied up in the back. Blasting "Hotel California" on the 101. Love it. Barbeque all the time, campfires and s'mores at night. I learned how to ride a bike while camping in San Onofre. I miss it.

Barbara B. had an extra ticket to the ballet at Opera Garnier for 18 euros so I'm going to that on Friday after class. My first ballet!