dimanche 6 janvier 2008

a sore throat calls for tea and TV. and crazy.

I'm rediscovering how amazing "LOST" is. Just watched an episode. The characters are complex, as is the storyline which is suspenseful and interesting than most of the drivel on the tube. And I love the dialogue. If one day I can write dialogue as simple and cryptic as theirs...I will die a happy girl. Why, you're probably wondering, am I watching American TV inside when I can be outside on this cold Parisien day waiting in line for a museum that's free because it's the first sunday of the month?

My throat feels like someone took a cheese grater to it.

I'm sick. Must have caught it days ago and gallivanting in last night's drizzle did not help. Bugger.

It's funny how I've been spending my year here appreciating all things connected with the English language. Don't get me wrong, I love being here and learning French, but these have been the worst absolute conditions to learn French in (strikes, unmotivated teachers, me being in my own little English-speaking world once class starts, etc.). If God asked me, when I died, what was the meaning of this year in Paris, if it wasn't to learn French, I'd probably go off on an angry tirade because He'd know exactly what the meaning of this year was...

To learn to be truly alone, to feel depression and to rise above it, to ask questions of myself that would have never occurred if I was in SF, to appreciate more my love of English, to make me realize what I want of this world, to give me ideas on the next big project, to give me ideas on what I want to do with my life, to clear my head, to make friends who aren't film majors, to be lost, to be found...

And then He'd stop me and say, "Alright, alright! Jeez! I just wanted to hear it from you. I'm glad you learned something...By the way, I can't believe Diablo Cody won that Oscar, it clearly should have gone to you." And then Buster Keaton would ask me to tea with Jesus, Shakespeare, and Joan of Arc, and then we'd go play croquet or something. My heaven sounds awesome.

Anyway, what am I getting at? I swear, being sick makes me write crazy things, you should have seen the other posts before this that got thrown out. This is actually a less crazy post compared to the other ones. Okay, so I want to end this with this: American tv is pretty good, but only a handful of shows; God and me are pretty cool, we settled it all last night around 2am ('cuz I've been debating religion the past couple of months); and also I HATE my toaster because, although being shiny and beautiful, the thing is a beast and it's loud when the toast pops, and the toast is small, and it's scary when I have to stick my fingers and get it. That is all.