mercredi 9 janvier 2008

"Je suis un solitaire, Dottie. Un rebelle." -- Pee Wee Herman.


Went to my cinema and bought this card that I wrote about yesterday. 2 euros only. And from now until I leave to go back to the States, I only have to pay 3 euros for any movie any time, the only restriction being special events. It works at the cinema I go to (Grand Action) as well as two other small cinemas that share the name Action. Amazing! Today I saw, Pee Wee's Big Adventure, which is one of my favorite Burton films, very quotable and fun to watch. In the theater were me, a mom and two of her kids, and a guy in a suit, which I thought was hilarious. When the film started, I was thinking that he'd leave thinking this wasn't the theater showing Elizabeth, but he didn't! He stayed for the whole thing. During the film I had a coughing spell, so I went outside, and the manager, a lady who'd introduce the Buster Keaton films, passed by, and she Bonjoured me which was nice. If I owned my own cinema, I'd totally say hi to people in the foyer.

I think I'm finally making it up for not being in cinema classes. You know, seeing more movies, even writing. I'm gonna try and make these 6 months here count because looking back, I spent a lot of time this past fall not being as productive as I usually am. I guess it's because I was sad for a while and the uni strikes and all. But I'm trying to be better. Anyway, there's a lot of great movies I'm going to see this week that probably would NEVER have interested me or I would have never had the opportunity to see on the screen but I've got an open mind now and the my card, and it's hella cheap: David Lynch's Wild at Heart, Coen Brothers' Barton Fink, and Francis Ford Coppola's The Conversation. And that's just this week at one cinema!

My Frye boots came in the mail. Thanks Mom! I love them. I feel like a badass gunslinger girl walking in them. I'm breaking them in, right now, and I'm going to take really good care of them. They were pricey, but I have a discount at Urban Outfitters where I got them. I think it's better to buy quality products (made in USA, yeah!) rather than settling for cheapie stuffs sometimes. I'm learning to create a wardrobe that stresses quality and fit over quantity. This means no more mindless shopping which leads to wasting money. I know that these'll last me years if I take good care of them, and I'm pretty good with taking care of things. I think I learned it from my Dad since he taught me how to take care of my car and my bike. These are good skills to have, especially when you're an independent girl. You can't always depend on guys to save you.

Speaking of guys, special shout out THANKS to Andy back in SF! Thanks for sending me a postcard! So thoughtful and totally unexpected. Not including the fam, I have only received postcard/Christmas cards from two boys, Edel and Andy, and I've never expected to get anything at all from my friends, let alone from my guy friends. It's so nice. Andy's a Cinema major like me and is going to study abroad in Australia this semester. YAY ANDY!