mardi 15 janvier 2008

Coen Brother's Day

Saw Juno last night for free at Censier where I go for Monday classes. It was...okay. It had some good parts. I just didn't see what all the hype was about. You could see the director or writer trying to go all Wes Anderson when doing backstory or extreme close-ups. And they just over did the whole music thing. Afterwards, I listened to my friends bash it--well not really bash it--but they just thought it was "okay" either. I've written this before, but I like going to films with non-film majors just so I could hear what they had to say. My experience with film majors is that they emphasis what was good over what was bad. If the story sucked, then maybe the lighting was amazing or the effects. With the kids here it's, "It sucked. Here's why..." Haha...These kids are going to be my audience someday. I want to hear what they have to say.

Seems to be Coen Brother's Day as I saw Barton Fink and The Big Lebowksi at the same cinema. First time seeing Barton Fink, and I liked it and didn't like it at the same time which is usually how I feel for David Lynch. Although I did like this better than any of Lynch's films. And I really like John Turturro. Such a great actor.

Gosh old people can be really crabby. There was this old lady in the theater who yelled at one of the technicians because the sound wasn't loud enough. Usually, minutes into the film, a technician comes out and walks around the theater to see how the sound is going but this guy didn't come in for 10 minutes and no one complained. Mostly because the majority of the audience was senior citizens and they probably didn't feel like getting up. One old dude yelled, "LE SON!!!" (the sound). It was kind of funny. Me, I didn't care because I was sitting in the middle already, and I kind of like reading the subtitles.

I've gotten into this weird habit of seeing how long I can go without buying food. It sounds really bad but I just like to see what I can make with limited groceries. Like today, I didn't have jam so I put honey on toast and it was delicious. It's very exhilarating to live like this, sort of on the edge. And, I don't know, but I like opening the fridge and just seeing the bare essentials in there and nothing unnecessary that was needed for one dish and then done. Over. Actually I do have mayonnaise, but, come on, that's a condiment.

When there's too much in the fridge I sort of freak out like, "Oh, I have to eat this, it'll expire soon" or "I need to get another one of these, it's almost gone". I get suckered into buying more at the store when I only meant to buy the one thing that ran out. I guess it all sort of goes along with the "limited material possessions" thing I've been going through. Although I did see a purse yesterday that struck my fancy, but I walked away. I walked away, thank you God for that strength. I did eat at BIA for dinner, sort of like a pre-Lebowski dealie with Sarah, Susie, Andy, and Sally, and it was really good. I had a burger. It was delicious. It had bell peppers and barbecue sauce. Yum. And I had a root beer. It felt like the best meal in a really long time. Funny how food can make you homesick.

Also, decided not to put my link up in Tourist Click because they wanted me to put up their link on the side or whatever, and I'm not down with advertising unless it's my friends' blogs or links I personally like. Word.