samedi 24 novembre 2007

one of those days

Did you ever have one of those days when you have no clue what's going to happen and where it's going to take you? Yeah, one of those days today. I knew I had to meet one of my groups for a project, but that was about it.

Was supposed to go to a birthday party for a French friend of a friend, but the group thing got in the way. Also the French girl said something to me at Thanksgiving that sort of pissed me off or just rubbed me the wrong way, but I don't want to write about that, I want to write about happy things. Why go to a party when I know I'm going to be unhappy and, as another friend put it, it'll just be "work"? Yeah, I don't want to work on the weekends.

On a whim, went to the Jardin du Luxem again to read Me Talk Pretty One Day. It's a nice place to read. Read for an hour when I get a call from Susie asking me what I'm doing. I say I'm at the park and she and Nayommee are at the park too! Whoa! Met up with them. Nayommee had a list of stuff she wants to do in Paris, but it was all "night" stuff, so we decided to do one of the food stuffs and it was fondue. Got a crepe at St. Michel then met back at my quartier with Sarah to find a fondue place.

We changed our minds and got Indian food instead--bad idea. This place was such a tourist trap. If we ever want bomb Indian food, we're going to the Gare du Nord area. This place was effing awful, and we were all just half-pissed half-laughing at our situation. God I love moments like these. Everything funny about it almost makes the awfulness unbearable. Susie sat facing the front door, and whenever a tourist walked by to look at the menu, she'd shake her head in warning, "Don't come in! Don't come in!" It was hilarious. We talked about puking at the doorstep or throwing red paint on the front door or just running out before they bring the check.

Afterwards, I was convinced to not be a hermit and go to La Fleche D'Or, a venue where you can watch bands play for free. For FREE! Susie convinced me that some good bands were going and Sarah came too. Oh. Gawd. I'm so glad I went. I'm not the kind of person who sees bands live often. I went to Warped Tour once and to Thrice shows every time they put out a new album. But seeing bands I don't know is not really my thing. I am so thankful that Susie and Sarah got me to go. We got there during the set of this UK band The Mules, and they rocked my socks off. They reminded me of Squirrel Nut Zippers, if they had kids my age. The drummer/singer (awesome!) looked like a Swing Kid, specifically the Swing Kid that was also in Dead Poets Society. And they had an Asian girl violinist. Sweetness. Wanted to get a cd after the last band's set, but they already packed them. Susie's going to try it find it at a store.
Then stayed a little bit for the last band, which was French. But the singer was ridiculous. Sarah said, "I don't take a man who wears pointy shoes seriously." He was also wearing really tight pants. I was in the front, and once while he sang he was looking at me, and I just looked away. Too uncomfortable and weird. Has someone ever looked at you while he sang? It's just weird. I said to Susie and Sarah, "He looked at me while he was singing!" and feigned a teeny-bopper sort of happiness, and then Susie asked me something dirty (but funny in a joking way) which I will not repeat here that prompted me to laugh and yell, "Shut up!" We left before their set ended.

All in all, a great night. Really glad I wasn't a hermit tonight. Check out this band, The Mules! I took some video:

0 commentaires: