lundi 25 février 2008

My Grandma's sister died yesterday. I called her Grandma Rose. She died in Porterville, was sick in the hospital with pneumonia. Mom sent me an email about it.

She was an awesome grandma, always had something yummy cooking whenever we visited her, a good gardener with roses in the front lawn and fruit trees in the back. You'd step into her house, and it was like time warp, you were back in the late 70s with a record player in the corner and shaggy carpet. Going to Porterville was a bit of a time warp too because it wasn't like my own town, these were farming people living there (I always assumed when I was little from the long drive through endless farmland), but I guess it's pretty developed now.

It's always good to have a reason to go somewhere far removed from your own home. You had none of the hustle and bustle of the big city in Porterville. Things were a bit quieter, relaxed. I remember Kuya and I walking down Main Street. A lot of the shops were closed down, but there was a bookstore there that I liked.

I'd like to go to Porterville again to see my Grandma buried, to hug my cousins and my other Grandma, to drive through that endless farmland, but flying out for the funeral is out of the question. Maybe this summer I'll take a roadtrip there.