mercredi 28 novembre 2007

a letter to friends visiting me

A letter to those visiting me. I apologize for my frankness (maybe living in Paris has made me this way), but this needs to be said. This is me at my meanest.

I am in Paris. You, you are on the other side of the world. I am not your travel agent, and I really don't know the best possible place to get your ticket. I did my own research, and you should too, buddy. You should too.

This is your chance to be as autonomous as possible. I'm here to be your guide in Paris. IN PARIS. I can't council you in airplane tickets and all that needs to be done at your end. Please, please, please, be responsible and plan ahead.

If you never plan on studying abroad, I want you to heed my advice. By not asking me for advice. At least don't ask me advice while you're still at your end and while you can find the answers yourself. Be in control. Get answers through your own research, don't just come to me all the time. The research, especially the traveling kind, is fun! I want to help you, I really do, but am I really helping when I am both your tour guide and the FAQ of traveling? You can do this. I have faith in you. Have faith in yourself that everything is going to be okay.

I am your friend. I love you. And you will thank me for this. Maybe not immediately, maybe not at all. But I will take your sullenness, your pouting, your slight rudeness to me through the interwebs as thanks. Why? Because you are learning, and you're good people, at least the right kind and I know you are the right kind since you're my friend. And good people are always thankful. Especially for learning...Be independent. It's a great journey. Get lost and find yourself. I will be with you for part of the way. And when we see each other at the airport for the first time in a long time, we will hug and you will forget, hopefully, that I was being terribly honest by making you grow.

With love, patience, and terrifying truthfulness,
Elaine

Here's what I will answer:
1. Yes, it's cold during winter. It's nothing you so cal people have experienced before.
2. Yes, bring money. Lots of it.

0 commentaires: