dimanche 9 septembre 2007

movie night!



Wow! So, my landlord Chris told me that they're going to show Some Like It Hot at this roman type arena just 10 minutes away from my house, so I invited some friends to come. It was really fun, and I've never seen this film before, so that was pretty cool. They actually projected the original film with French subtitles and didn't use a dvd. That was excellent. It's funny because they do stuff like this--show films in public places--in San Francisco, and my friend Stacy would always invite me to see these films with her. I've only went once, and we saw the first Indiana Jones.

For the first time since I've arrived, I didn't feel like some tourist. There we were, us Americans surrounded by Parisiens watching Marilyn Monroe under the stars. And for the duration of the film, we were connected by this love of cinema. And the language that we spoke or our home country, all that stuff that divides us, melted away because we laughed at the same things, stayed silent while Marilyn sang, and applauded at the end of the film. I've never felt more at home thousands of miles away.

This morning, a Japanese film crew was setting up outside with their cam, taking shots of my rue and filming my landlord's band. Outside, my landlord's band is playing "La Vie En Rose". Does it get anymore cinematic than this? Can there be any more signs?

All this is happening for a reason, and it's all beyond me, and it's happening, unspooling like film. Thank you God.

0 commentaires: